10 Tips for writing the perfect Donor Thank You Letter!
The Thank You letter is probably the most important communication you can have with your donor base. It reinforces the relationship by making them feel valued!
- Personalize the greeting. Speak directly to the donor, using their name. Check the details to ensure the spelling is correct, and you have their current contact information. Add a personal note if you know the donor well.
- Timing is everything. Waiting more than three days to thank your donor is not good relationship building. Thank them as promptly as possible!
- Be positive. Ensure the overall tone of the Thank You letter is forward-looking, excited, grateful and professional.
- Open with gratitude. Specifics are appreciated, so in your Thank You, mention the amount donated and how it was raised. And don't forget to tell them the amazing work your organization will be able to accomplish because of their generosity. Specifics!! People want to know their individual contribution had an impact!
- Acknowledge past giving, if applicable.
- Showcase your work. Highlight a case history or compelling story that reinforces the importance of their donation.
- Spotlight on the donor. Now is not the time to sell, ask for another gift, or expect another action (like a survey, or to share your charity etc) from your donor.
- Brevity is golden. Keep it short, under two paragraphs if possible.
- One for the road. Don't be afraid to thank them again!
- Nurture the relationship, by signing off with a real signature from someone in the highest ranks of your organization.